Thursday, June 26, 2014

June 26: St. David of Thessalonica

Everyone is finished with school here at my house, which means everyone is bored.  I, however, have plenty to keep me busy.  The pool is open, so we have extra towels and swim suits for me to look after and provide; the garden is planted and now and the plants, as well as the weeds among them call to me daily.  Everyone is going here and there as usual and they all need Mom to assist them.  There are days that I'd like to just go outside and find a really tall tree, climb up into it and just sit there...yep, just me and God.  
Today's saint, the sixth century martyr David of Thessalonica, did just that.  St. David had left the world and entered into contemplation at a monastery, but even that austerity proved to be to engaging for him.  For three years, he remained high up in an almond tree, away from everyone and everything but God, until an angel of the Lord told him to come down.  He was gifted by God in many ways, working wonders, healing the sick and providing counselling to penitents in need.  
Yes, there are some days I understand David of Thessalonica completely.  As I try to explain him to my active and sociable children today, we'll make up a batch of healthy almond bites in his honor.  My giirls and I may even dip them into some chocolate and keep them in our little hiding spot above the refrigerator.  When all our dishes are done after dinner and the kitchen is once again in proper order, we have a peaceful little moment of quiet reward for ourselves in the dining room...no big brothers, with their big appetites, are allowed.  Everybody needs to be like our saint once in a while and steal away for a momentary breather, right?  Have some almond bites today, find yourself some peace and quiet, and have a Happy Feast!

St. David's Almond Bites
  • 1 cup pitted dates, packed
  • 1 cup roasted unsalted almonds, loosely chopped
  • 1/4 cup honey (or maple syrup or agave)
  • 1/4 cup creamy almond butter
  • 1 1/2 cups rolled oats (or quinoa flakes for GF option)
  • 1/2 tsp almond extract ( optional)
Combine all ingredients in a food processor and combine well.  Roll into balls and enjoy!
As an option, you may roll your Almond Bites in more crushed almonds, or cover them with melted chocolate!

No comments:

Post a Comment